Monday, April 2, 2012

Antidote For Fear



17 God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. 18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary. 20 Jesus has already gone in there for us. He has become our eternal High Priest in the order of Melchizedek."(Hebrews 6:17-20-NLT)


I remember studying terminal diseases in nursing school, as it was one of my favorite areas of study.  Not sure really why because it wasn't filled with happy times like say maybe labor and delivery.  But that area spoke to and so I enjoyed studying them.  I remember the day we started that area of study as I watched the instructed take on a slightly different demeanor as she opened the course with these words, "What is the antidote for fear?"  We all looked around and were uncertain as to the answer because it didn't seem like the answer would be medical in relation.  She allowed us to ponder this for several moments.  Then she broke the silence and gave the answer as she stated,  "The antidote for fear is hope.  Never take away someone's hope."

"The antidote for fear is hope.  Never take away someone's hope."  That is a phrase that has stick in my mind for the past 10 years.  As I have had the extreme honor of caring for individuals and families in times of ultimate distress.  I have held the hands of many patients who have crossed the thin veil into eternity.  I have walked others so close that I felt as though I could pass through right along with them.  I have wiped the tears of grief stricken spouses as they receive the news of impending doom.  I have also heard the earth shattering screams and cries of a mom realizing her child will not make it.  Impossible situations of sadness.  But,  in every situation these words have rung loud and clear in my heart and mind.  Even while facing death head on with these patients never would I say there is no hope.  I would always point them to the cross and proudly proclaim that anything is possible in Him.

I was reminded of the promise of this antidote of hope last week.  It was a Friday and I had an absolute full plate of patients to see.  My very first patient was one in which hope needed to be reinforced as he very bravely fronted courage for his most precious little wife.  He found himself facing a heart attack with a history that presented only non-surgical options.  And needing a whole lot of HOPE.  As I securely tucked them away in an ambulance I had the most extremely feeling of compassion.  For this was a heart issue on every level.

You know we walk the corridors of this life uncertain in every turn.  What will the next second bring? We have no promise of it ever even coming for us.  But what we do have a promise of is eternity in Him.

[Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.]


Fill Thy Cup:
My children, as you advance in this hour in history you must do it with brave hearts and eyes fixed.  You must not focus on the shame or shadows.  As you stretch forth your hands for healing, you must reach for and retrieve hope.  Hope has to be the thing that you deposit into each soul.  Into everyone you encounter.  As it is the hope of salvation that fuels the courage to advance.  Even in the most ultimate times of distress.  Hope is the strong and secure anchor for your souls.  It is hope that will take you past the shame, shadows and distress and will usher you right into the inner court.  Right into My presence.