Thursday, December 22, 2011

Professionalism


[vision/rhema] 12/22/11

Yesterday, I had to have a conversation with a patient who would continually use very disrespectful speech in referring to different races.  And this morning, I am thinking about this because in prayer I asked the Lord what He needed me to know...

HEARD: Professionalism 

    [Lord, what do you mean? Can I have a verse?]

SAW: Matthew 10:12

"12 And when you go into a household, greet it. "(Matthew 10:12)

Strong's Concordance: Greet H782

1) to draw to one's self
a) to salute one, greet, bid welcome, wish well to
b) to receive joyfully, welcome

Professionalism defined:
The methods, character, spirit.

Now let me explain my job.  I am a home health nurse.  I get to go into homes and help people where they are.   Many times I enter patients home who have very different values than mine.  Such as the one I was at yesterday.  The Lord is reassuring me that my job is to be His professional and in that I am to greet the home as I enter...Receive them joyfully, wish them well.  However, that is not all of the command.  To be God's professional, you must also present character and spirit that is reflective of the Father.  So, we are to greet new people with a welcoming heart, a joyful spirit, drawing them to ourselves with a welcoming character.


"13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city! "(Matthew 10:14-15)

What I feel the Lord is saying there is that after we have presented ourselves to whomever in the right spirit: joyful, welcoming, well wishing, etc. And we are not received as such then we are to leave them and shake the dust off our feet.  He is saying here, think nothing more of it...let it not trouble you any longer...Receive back your peace.  But, I want to look at the word "Worthy"  What is God considering "Worthy"?  

Strong's Concordance: Worthy G514

1) weighing, having weight, having the weight of another thing of like value, worth as much
2) befitting, congruous, corresponding to a thing
3) of one who has merited anything worthy
a) both in a good and a bad sense

Worthy: "having the weight of another thing of like value". This is very interesting to me because as soon as I read this I was quickened to Amos 3:3

"Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?"(Amos 3:3) 


Wow, so we are to present a certain professionalism.  We are His ambassadors  His professionals.  So go forth (where ever we go...whether it be in homes, in churches, etc) in the very nature of God.  Therefore, being the very "weight" (if we are looking at the word "Worthy" ) of God, when we are not received as such (being of like value) then we are to allow our peace to return to us and shake the dust off our feet...MOVING ON!!


*The thing we must remember is this.  When we are presenting the nature of God and we are not received...the ones not receiving us are actually not receiving God.  

MORE TO COME...