Saturday, June 4, 2011

In the Race...

Vision 
6/1/11

SAW: Bikers in a race rounding a corner

QUICKENED VERSE:
Hebrews 12:1, "1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"

Philippians 3:11-14, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

When your in a race...in order for you to have any chance of winning or even finishing you have to be forward looking...forward thinking... strategically planning the path that lay ahead...

The best bikers have trained for years and years... persevering through training in some extreme eliminates...the heat of summer and coldness of winter...They have acclimated their bodies to perform in the roughest of conditions...They have trained their minds and bodies to not focus on the momentary pain and/or suffering...not focusing on what's behind...the miles and miles they have already come...For they have learned that if they pause to look back they lose momentum and even balance, they loose pace...their timing is off...They have trained their minds to be evermore pressing on toward the goal... the finish line...

Likewise, it is easy at times to want to stop...look around... But when we do this... we are taking our eyes off of the goal... Jesus Christ!  We are shifting our focus from our Lord to ourselves...We lose balance...we loss momentum.  Paul tells us as he sets an example to forget what is behind...strain toward what is ahead... I love this meaning of "strain" (dictionary.com) : "To hold tight"  Putting it in context... We are to hold tight to what is ahead.. "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith..." (Hebrews 12:2). 

We are rounding the corner in our race toward the Goal... the finish line is insight.  The prize is at hand.  God is reminding us to not lose heart... not to grow weary...His coming is near... hold fast to the prize set before us...The coming of our Lord and Savor!  

Timothy 4:7-8
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

Blessing~